[Cake] set filtered acks to bulk mode

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Dec 6 03:10:00 EST 2017

> On Dec 6, 2017, at 08:05, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is all sorts of wrong.
>
> Going 1 out of 2 on untested patches for the day is not too horrible.
>
> (sorry for crashing your router Ryan!!)
>
>> First, setting the enum isn't sufficient to actually make the flow bulk.
>> You need to move it to the bulk queue-of-queues and update the stats
>> counters too.  That's probably why it's crashing for Ryan.
>
> I had figured that would happen on the next round. :(
>

>> Second, I fail to see why this is necessary or even desirable.  If there are
>> enough acks to activate the filter, then I assume it should be treated as
>> bulk already.  Or, if the filter itself thins out the acks enough to make it
>> sparse, then it still makes sense to deliver those acks timely
>
> Consider the case where you are emptying the queue on a regular basis.
>
> As this is indeed, a bulk flow at this point, there is no need to give
> it any extra boost.

	Mmmh, I guess I see Jonathan's point more clearly, if the (egress) ack traffic is sparse treat it like that if it is not then not. The fact that the non-filtered ACK queue would be treated as bulk, is I believe immaterial.
Well, unless we have data showing that your proposed mode actually works better in real life. Data, I realize, for the acquisition of which you would need the proposed change... This might be too complicated for me ;)