[Cake] set filtered acks to bulk mode

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 02:05:09 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is all sorts of wrong.

Going 1 out of 2 on untested patches for the day is not too horrible.

(sorry for crashing your router Ryan!!)

> First, setting the enum isn't sufficient to actually make the flow bulk.
> You need to move it to the bulk queue-of-queues and update the stats
> counters too.  That's probably why it's crashing for Ryan.

I had figured that would happen on the next round. :(

> Second, I fail to see why this is necessary or even desirable.  If there are
> enough acks to activate the filter, then I assume it should be treated as
> bulk already.  Or, if the filter itself thins out the acks enough to make it
> sparse, then it still makes sense to deliver those acks timely

Consider the case where you are emptying the queue on a regular basis.

As this is indeed, a bulk flow at this point, there is no need to give
it any extra boost.

>  so as to
> maximise the reduced information they carry.  Remember too that Codel
> implements head drop precisely to minimise the feedback lag via ack.
>
> - Jonathan Morton

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619