[Cake] 5ms target hurting tcp throughput tweakable?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:02:04 EST 2017

Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> Looking at tc-adv, I would recommend to use “rtt 50” (maybe it is
> “rtt 50ms”) which allows to directly explicitly request a new
> “interval” (which IIRC is corresponding to the time you allow for
> the TCP control loop to react to cake’s ecn-marking/dropping)
> “target’ will be calculated as 5% of the explicit interval, in
> accordance with the rationale in the codel RFC.

50 is certainly better than 10, but still seems to hurt single a bit
even on a close server.

On more distant servers maybe even more - I am getting results that are
too variable to tell properly at the current time (of day).

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1488216166262542155

Almost OK, but with 100ms this test usually shows x1 and x6 the same.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1488218291872647755

Of course as we all know ingress shaping is a different beast anyway and
would deserve its own thread.