[Cake] improving inbound shaping

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 09:23:32 EST 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:22 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>

> Last time I tested this I came to the conclusion, that going via ifb and mirred cost something like 5% shaper sqm performance on ingress. While not nothing I am not sure this as big a performance issue as you seem to argue.

Didn't say double the performance, I said "halve the packet copies".

Amdahl's law applies. 5% is a foothold.

> Your proposal would improve usability quite a lot though if we could avoid the whole ifb-dance...
>
> To assess the cost of the mirred ifb ingress, I simply instantiated the shaper for internet download not on ingress of the wan interface, but on egress of the LAN interface connecting the sole testing host, so I believe the only difference in work for the system should be the ifb/mirred processing.

Well, I plan to fiddle with a new tp-link AC2600 at these higher
speeds. That's a dual core arm, and my initial tests with it were
quite nice... well, I couldn't crash it, anyway.

There's a mcast bug easily fixed in the ethernet driver, the wifi is
an ath10k alike that doesn't currently have the make-wifi-fast fixes
and I can profile, a bit on it.

They're 128 bucks on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Technology-Archer-C2600/dp/B010UR8AM2

http://blog.cerowrt.org