[Cake] improving inbound shaping

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Mar 3 04:22:29 EST 2017

Hi Dave,

Last time I tested this I came to the conclusion, that going via ifb and mirred cost something like 5% shaper sqm performance on ingress. While not nothing I am not sure this as big a performance issue as you seem to argue.
Your proposal would improve usability quite a lot though if we could avoid the whole ifb-dance...

To assess the cost of the mirred ifb ingress, I simply instantiated the shaper for internet download not on ingress of the wan interface, but on egress of the LAN interface connecting the sole testing host, so I believe the only difference in work for the system should be the ifb/mirred processing.