[Cake] improving inbound shaping

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 01:54:23 EST 2017

As that's the highest cpu user there is, (and the biggest problem I
have, on comcast, there's 2 sec of latency at 100mbit without shaping:

 http://www.taht.net/~d/comcast2/asmiserabledlasever.png
(more flent data there).

It's always been a daydream to somehow bypass the existing tc_mirred
facility we use and be able to express:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 ingress cake bandwidth 990mbit

and have that "just work". My hope would be that that would halve
the packet copies needed (don't know if that's the case in the first place)...

When I last looked at it (2+ years ago), that portion of linux was a
hairball that extended back to the late 90s, and I gave up.

There were a few commits there recently - adding hardware offload
support for the flower classifier and this one:

commit d2788d34885d4ce5ba17a8996fd95d28942e574e