[Cake] Cake upstream Planning

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Nov 15 15:19:43 EST 2017

Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:

>     On Nov 15, 2017, at 8:44 PM, Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
>

>     I dearly would like to try and submit cake to mainline linux in
>     december. Getting it done is going to take group effort.
>
>     And trying to cover all the corner cases, is going to take co-ordination
>     and scripting, and perhaps we should switch to google docs to pull together.
>
>     Also, it might be fun to schedule a dramatic reading of the source code
>     via videoconference because theres a lot in cake that not enough people
>     (except maybe jonathan) understand.
>

> That sounds good. Rather than my making some test plan, if you start a doc just
> plug me in where you think it’s best.

I'll try to review what's been discussed so far and get a document out
by sunday.

BTW, all, I have reserved time on the "vuc" conference december 15th to
discuss where we are in the bufferbloat project. That's more of a "meet
the press" kind of thing than the internal discussion here.

> There’s also been a Cake support feature request hanging around in the EdgeOS
> forums for a while after Lochnair’s successful work to get it built for the
> EdgeRouter firmware:
>
> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/Cake-shaper-support/idi-p/1885749

I had viewed those folk as a key path to commercialization. They have
a great user community and great products.

> Maybe this would help get it pushed through into a device that I think has
> pretty wide deployment…

The problem is, they were stuck on kernel 3.10, when last I looked and
oy...

I keep hoping we can get cavium to pay attention directly.