[Cake] cake flenter results round 2

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:35:06 EST 2017

> On Nov 28, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <peteheist at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> *** Round 3 Plans:
>>
>> * Use netem to test a spread of simulated rtts and bandwidths.
>
> Since you are leveraging a few too few boxes, attached are my current
> scripts for fiddling a bit with network namespaces. I added individual
> ssh, irtt, etc, servers so that things like flent's ssh stuff should
> just work for polling stats.

You mean a few too few virtual boxes, not necessarily physical ones, right? :) In other words, there are different topologies that can be used for testing. In your scripts you’re simulating "Internet access", where client is the family or organization for example and server is stuff on the Internet:

client - middlebox - delay - server

In my earlier point-to-point WiFi testing I was simulating an ISP’s backhaul:

client - client_router - station ----- ap - server_router - server

In my current testing I’m simulating, well, something far less useful if I think about it- two boxes blasting traffic to one another over a cable and trying to improve queueing delays between them:

client - client_router --- server_router - server

I hadn’t realized how heavy-weight traffic generation for anything beyond 4/4 flows would be at Gbit rates, or how confusing and trivial some of these results would be.

So beyond just my vague idea to “simulate a spread of rtts and bandwidths”, I see I need a topology change to produce something more useful. I think there are still two options:

1) Point-to-point WiFi again, where I’d be using two NSM5s and testing over short range at rates of up to 100 Mbps. I would probably try to get FreeNet’s APU version 1 boxes into action again so I’d have physical devices for each of the six roles above. I wish I didn’t have to use those RTL8111Es, but that’s how it is.

2) Your “Internet access” setup. Either I can get the veth stuff into action on a single physical APU2 (powerful enough?), or I can try to set up four physical boxes with the same topology (or if I were tricky, try to spread the four roles across two boxes).

#1 would be useful for FreeNet. Would it also be useful for Cake testing in general, or would you prefer more #2 results at this stage (i.e. simulating dsl, cable, satellite, etc)?