[Cake] Pre-print of Cake paper available

Pete Heist pete at eventide.io
Tue Apr 24 04:57:47 EDT 2018

> On Apr 24, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <pete at eventide.io> writes:
>
>>> On Apr 24, 2018, at 7:58 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Turning NAT support on by default might actually be reasonable, since
>>> it doesn't really break anything if it's not needed - it just eats a
>>> bit of CPU with unnecessary conntrack lookups.
>>
>> I would be for it, if it eats say < 1% additional CPU, and preferably
>> less. I expect the impact to increase with packet rates.
>
> I'm a bit worried that the way it is implemented now, if we turn it on
> by default we risk activating conntrack even when it was otherwise
> disabled... That would be a bad side effect, so I think it's better to
> be safe and leave it for userspace to enable (which, again, we could do
> by default in sqm-scripts).

Fair enough. It sounds like cake’s configuration policy is to be more “predictable and consistent” by default than “ready to use in your home gateway” by default, which is understandable if it’s anticipated that more people will use it through some router’s UI or setup scripts than will set it up by hand from the command line…