[Cake] Pre-print of Cake paper available

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Apr 24 05:15:03 EDT 2018

Pete Heist <pete at eventide.io> writes:

>> On Apr 24, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think, if we wanted to support the ISP case, that a per-customer *shaper* is more useful.
>>
>> Yes, I think the technology can be recoded to better suit a
>> multi-subscriber environment; it would no longer be Cake, but would
>> use some of the same key algorithms.
>
> Right, I was going to comment on the paper- where’s the ISP backhaul
> use case? (Because I might still try to use it that way.) But I was
> sure that this was already considered, and am not surprised that it
> might be a different but related project.

Well, you could use it on an ISP backhaul by having a separate CAKE
instance per customer, and having another mechanism to assign customer
traffic to each. An HTB tree would be one way to do this; separate
interfaces per customer would be another. The latter works well if
customers are on separate VLANs, for instance...

But yeah, having a single instance of CAKE solve all of your customer
shaping problems is probably not in scope currently... ;)

-Toke