[Cake] CAKE upstreaming - testers wanted, ACK filtering rescuers needed

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Apr 25 21:32:00 EDT 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:40:29 +0930
Ryan Mounce <ryan at mounce.com.au> wrote:

> I'll investigate making the ACK filtering code safe, it is my mess after all :)
>
> Eric obviously understands this stuff a lot better than me, it looks
> like there are two issues?
> - Lack of minimum length check for TCP header, should be fairly
> straight-forward to fix
> - The possibility of unsafely filtering part of a split GSO super-packet?
>
> Regards,
> Ryan Mounce
>
> ryan at mounce.com.au
> 0415 799 929

It makes more sense to move it out of Cake altogether. Cake is already one
of those projects that seems to have Golden Hammer disease.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument

Why not in netfilter or XDP? Then it could be used in other contexts like
tunnels or selectively based on route etc.