[Cake] Modification of DRR with deficit saving

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 09:52:33 EST 2018

To this day I regret mis-identifying fq-codel with SFQ in that first talk.

And they ripped the idea of codel out entirely in their evaluation.

"Drop-on-dequeue is inspired by new AQMs like CoDel, but we pursue a
very simple approach. A packet is dropped if it is older than a
con gurable delay thresholdTD. This method limits the packet delay
toTD and removes packets from the queue in case of congestion.
Nevertheless, the bu er can over ow under certain conditions. To avoid
that, we postulated a su ciently large bu er and assumed in nite for
the sake of simplicity"

But, negative proofs of an idea are worthwhile stepping stones to ones
that work.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
> This popped up in my Google Scholar notifications:
>
> https://atlas.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~menth/papers/Menth18b.pdf
>
> Basically, they are proposing to permit a queue to accumulate a larger
> deficit while empty to allow light users to achieve the same throughput
> as heavy users (users being an endpoint with potentially multiple
> flows).
>
> Not sure how useful this really is, but it's somewhat related to Cake's
> src/dst user fairness feature, so may be of interest.
>
> -Toke

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619