[Cake] Modification of DRR with deficit saving

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 10:01:07 EST 2018

> On 4 Jan, 2018, at 4:29 pm, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> This popped up in my Google Scholar notifications:
>
> https://atlas.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~menth/papers/Menth18b.pdf
>
> Basically, they are proposing to permit a queue to accumulate a larger
> deficit while empty to allow light users to achieve the same throughput
> as heavy users (users being an endpoint with potentially multiple
> flows).
>
> Not sure how useful this really is, but it's somewhat related to Cake's
> src/dst user fairness feature, so may be of interest.

They're trying to solve the same problem as DRR++ does, not the same one as Triple Isolation does.

As a result, they've basically proposed a bugfix to the original DRR (ie. you should keep replenishing the deficit until it saturates, even if the queue is temporarily empty), without gaining the full benefit of DRR++.

Not interesting at all.