[Cake] policers, finally

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:45:21 EDT 2018

I was off in the cheap seats watching,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdjavTiMrs0&feature=youtu.be&t=1h10m3s

saying "yes, for ghu's sake, back off half on ecn - or more! And if
you are going to try defeating policers, despite the desperate reasons
for them to exist... it's time to come up with a policer that will
fool your algorithm enough so the gamer downstairs stops screaming in
frustration!"

and then there was the aqm talk where they tried to move the setpoint
so the link was always buffered, rather than trying to hit the
artificially small buffer size and back off... (actually I liked this
talk because you can also try configuring the setpoint to where it was
below capacity)
On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:37 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM Arie <nospam at ariekanarie.nl> wrote:
> > >
> > > It does.
> >
> > well, one approach seems to be to police as per that bug report at say
> > 90-95% of the actual inbound rate, while shaping at 85%... or some
> > combination thereof.
> >
> > figuring out the "burst" value is tricky, of course, but I'd much
> > rather let the queues build up in cake than the cmts, and putting a
> > brick wall there at this point in the internet's evolution seems like
> > a start.
> >
> > this morning I spent watching ietf preso after preso "accept" that
> > 100ms of queuing delay and pdv was acceptible, then showing tests with
> > 50 packet buffers showing that things like BBR worked ok at 100mbit,
> > when... well... here I am at hundred mbit, with 300+ms of inherent
> > queuing delay on the cable downlink, that shapes down nicely using
> > cake vs cubic to 5-40, looking at the carnage. I *don't like* policers
> > (at least, not what's deployed today), and the BBR folk don't like
> > them either... but they seem necessary if overly aggressive transports
> > (as netflix's appears to be, also) exist.

> > --
> >
> > Dave Täht
> > CEO, TekLibre, LLC
> > http://www.teklibre.com