[Cake] inbound cake or fq_codel shaping fails on cable on netflix reno

Ryan Mounce ryan at mounce.com.au
Mon Jul 23 21:31:29 EDT 2018

Unloaded latency is 5ms. My retailer has a 100Mbps FIFO shaper that
will queue up to 100ms worth of full MTU packets.

Without ingress shaping, loaded latency builds up to about 95ms and
then stays there for the remainder of the test.

With ingress shaped to 99Mbps with cake, fast.com loaded latency peaks
around 40ms, then quickly settles down to 8ms. On multiple runs of the
test, the worst latency peak I saw was 60ms.

So even shaping ingress close to link capacity is a huge win against a FIFO.
Regards,
Ryan Mounce

ryan at mounce.com.au
0415 799 929