[Cake] Using cake to shape 1000’s of users.

Dan Siemon dan at coverfire.com
Thu Jul 26 11:46:32 EDT 2018

Tiny bit of self promotion here but Preseem (https://www.preseem.com)
is a transparent bridge that leverages HTB/FQ-CoDel to make subscriber plan enforcement provide much better QoE. Leaving enforcement up to the deep queues in most network equipment has comparably very bad results. We focus on WISPs but we have customers that provide service via DSL and cable as well.

We leverage an eBPF classifier to direct each subscriber's traffic into
an HTB class that matches their plan rate and within that is an FQ-
CoDel instance. This classifier handles the various encapsulations we
need to support in ISP networks.

I haven't had time to try Cake in this context yet but hope to get to
that in the next couple months. I believe this will require one Cake
instance per-subscriber like we do with FQ-CoDel today.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/isp/r1579-Comcast%20XFINITY