[Cake] Using cake to shape 1000’s of users.

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sat Jul 28 14:17:46 EDT 2018

On 28 July 2018 19:53:58 CEST, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Note that with the existing tc classifier stuff we already added to
>>> Cake, we basically have this already (eBPF can map traffic to tin
>and
>>> flow however it pleases).
>>
>> Sorry, this just jostled in my brain now that I may be able to
>implement member fairness today, based on what you wrote earlier in a
>thread that I entirely missed:
>https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-May/003811.html
>>
>> George posted an example of assigning packets to a tin:
>https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-May/003809.html
>>
>> How does one send packets to a specific flow / queue?
>
>The trouble here is that there's only 8 tins max in Cake.  At that
>level selection is done with a linear search, which doesn't scale up,
>but is efficient for N=8.

Yeah, but replacing that with an rbtree should be straight forward.

> The flow mapping is hardcoded for speed
>with no override hook, because no consumer needs custom mapping of this
>sort.

Getting this to work is probably the most work, actually. I guess the 'tc class' config would be the obvious way to do express this, API-wise.

>Fixing these problems to make them more ISP-friendly necessarily makes
>it less consumer-friendly.  Hence the new project.  Much code can be
>reused.

If more features are needed, perhaps... But for just adding more classes I don't actually think it has to impact the UX for the current use cases. The existing keywords could be retained and map to the same configs.

-Toke