[Cake] Using cake to shape 1000’s of users.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 19:24:14 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 10:38 AM Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Note that with the existing tc classifier stuff we already added to
> Cake, we basically have this already (eBPF can map traffic to tin and
> flow however it pleases).
>

> Sorry, this just jostled in my brain now that I may be able to implement member fairness today, based on what you wrote earlier in a thread that I entirely missed: https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-May/003811.html
>
> George posted an example of assigning packets to a tin: https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2018-May/003809.html
>
> How does one send packets to a specific flow / queue?
>
> This wouldn’t give both per-member and per-flow fairness, but at least per-member fairness might be possible. There are 1024(?) queues available and 800 members, so I’m just speculating that I could map members to a number from 0 to 800 (active member IDs packed and zero-based would work) and assign each member to their own flow. Thanks... :)

your typical cable modem segment is x.y.z.u/22 - in other words they
only manage 1024 subscribers per segment also.

So... the birthday problem only rears its head in the real world, when
you have small values, like 4. above 32 it increasingly doesn't
matter. We did a lot of successful ns2 tests of fq_codel with 16,32
flows settings  (in the hope it would ease a hardware design). So,
instead of trying to use up one veth with 800 subscribers, use 800/per
cpu you have. Perhaps.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619