[Cake] CAKE related iproute2 & kernel patches - keeping things in sync

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 19:42:15 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 3:05 AM Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant
<kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:

> To whom it may concern (Dave) ;-)
>
> This is a general plea that when patches are submitted to upstream please can we also commit them to our current development repositories.

Mea culpa. I was hiding under my desk expecting the 10GigE+ world to
unite and march upon me, torches ablaze and, while gearing up for
battle there, collecting data on how bql and split-gso interacted at
various speeds, I didn't expect davem to just take the darn patch.

I have this whole lovely, giant, rant ,and plots that I'm not gonna be
motivated to finish now.

This does raise a long term point however in that as we go mainline
more tweaks and patches *will* arrive
via normal linux kernel processes from others. Do you want maintainership there?

> 4.19 isn’t even released yet, so most people, including Openwrt, get cake via our 'out of tree’ repositories.  This is also a good idea from a point of view of testing.  I appreciate the latest changes are of ‘one line’ type variety and so mostly harmless but ideally it should at least be in our own out of tree repo’s first/at the same time.
>
> I had to submit the latest ‘split-gso by default’ patch, accepted to upstream, manually to our own cake repo for Toke to commit.  I note with some distress that there’s an ‘iproute2’ upstream patch pending to enable the userspace side of the same thing that currently is NOT in the ‘tc-adv’ repo.
>
> Dare I also suggest that a man page update would be appreciated by iproute2-next too.

I started reviewing the man page's gobble of troff, started writing a
tuning section (and decided that needed a web page), went looking for
other missing keywords, and... we haven't heard from logan in a
while... my back is covered with black jube jells and dust bunnies
from hiding under my desk.

and I dunno, has anyone read the man page lately? There's a HUGE
opportunity to bikeshed there.

> The above would make the ‘Cake for Openwrt’ maintainer very happy ;-)
>

> Cheers,
>
> Kevin D-B
>
> 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619