[Cake] bufferbloat still misunderstood & ignored

Pete Heist pete at eventide.io
Fri Mar 30 04:05:28 EDT 2018

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 2:53 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29 Mar, 2018, at 3:26 am, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A finicky bit would be who to penalize when the underlying medium
>> (shared cable) is oversubscribed.
>
> Two obvious reasonable solutions: share equally per subscriber, or share proportionately to provisioned bandwidth per subscriber.  Either should be fairly straightforward to implement in an integrated qdisc, and either would penalise the (instantaneously) heaviest users before affecting normal or light users.

As one use case, FreeNet Liberec, the co-operative ISP I use, would use the “shared equally” option. The important part for them is that some members access from a single CPE device and others from multiple devices whose IPs are handed out by FreeNet’s routers. There’s a db with mappings from member ID to their MACs, I believe, which is used to generate various config files. So this mapping from member (subscriber) to their MACs or IPs would need to be configurable somewhere, which was already eluded to earlier.

Personally, I like the idea of _only_ offering equal sharing, as it’s easiest to implement and serves a social purpose.