[Cake] bufferbloat still misunderstood & ignored

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:07:38 EDT 2018

Ironically, in the UK my cheap ISP, Plusnet used to do QOS for free.
The ASA (Advertising standards authority) decreed that ISPs that mark
traffic can't claim "totally unlimited" in ads - so they turned it off.
You can now pay more to opt into something similar.
It could be of course that there is more to it - eg. excuse to save on
kit for marking, or the ASA considered that internal "discrimination"
was going on - but IME over years with them I never saw evidence of that.
Anyway for a single line I think Plusnet and opt in/pay more would be
cheaper than AA (who IIRC, historically at least, don't classify/mark
but just do something simple like prio smaller packets - though I
haven't checked what they do now).