[Cake] cake in dd-wrt

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 14:31:47 EDT 2019

Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de> writes:

>>> we are already using filters. yes. its just that cake is acting always
>>> as root and we have different sorts of qos configurations. so you have
>>> wan. but we may have multiple lan interfaces with individual qos
>>> settings. the same for mac / ip based user settings. so in fact we need
>>> to create a individual qdisc for each of these setting types in worst
>>> case, but in that case we cannot take in account the global available
>>> bandwidth anymore.
>> Ah, right, I see. So this is things like users wanting to limit a
>> specific type of traffic to a certain bandwidth?
> basicly yes. there are multiple ways. plain traffic shaping by local
> interface name, by local mac, by local ip/net
> and in addition there is shaping by port based or dpi based packet
> detection and since each instance of cake doesnt know of any other
> use of cake qdiscs its getting complicated. but we just started with
> working on it. i'm sure i find a solution for it

Do let us know if you do :)

However, I'd also point out that when running CAKE a lot of these kinds
of setups become simply redundant. For home networks most of the setups
I have seen with such rule-based shaping is simply there to paper over
the underlying bufferbloat issue. Once you solve that you don't really
need all the policy-based stuff.

Now, there are of course exceptions to this where a strict rule-based
shaping *is* really needed; but HTB already provides this in the kernel,
and we don't want to re-invent that, so I'm not sure we'll ever support
this properly in CAKE, sadly...

-Toke