[Cake] cake in dd-wrt

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Aug 21 07:03:05 EDT 2019

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 12:21, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> writes:

>>> If you can identify the Bittorrent packets, you can mark them CS1, and
>>> switch on Cake's "diffserv3" mode (as it is by default).  Then the
>>> Bittorrent packets will still be able to use full bandwidth if it's
>>> available, but will be limited to 1/16th of the total if there is
>>> contention.
>>
>> I regard the whole CS1 thing as having never been particularly
>> successful for a variety of reasons - in particular because
>> we seemed to be the only ones attempting to use it with rigor.
>>
>> I would like to patch in and submit "LE" support to mainline cake.
>>
>> The RFC retires CS1 - which I wouldn't retire - but see:

Does it really do that? I see a section requesting domains using CS1 to remark to LE on egress, which, given that hardware often treats CS1 to higher priority than CS0 seems like the right thing to do... I also see changes to all RFCs that recommended CS1 as LE-DSCP, but it specifically caters to dscp domains that actively use CS1. The bigger issue I see in the request to never bleach/nor re-mark 000001, but if this can be achieved for any codepoint the for LE, assuming every domain owner might actually be interested to use this information for dropping/queueing decisions, no?