[Cake] cake in dd-wrt

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:10:01 EDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 3:21 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> writes:

> >> If you can identify the Bittorrent packets, you can mark them CS1, and
> >> switch on Cake's "diffserv3" mode (as it is by default).  Then the
> >> Bittorrent packets will still be able to use full bandwidth if it's
> >> available, but will be limited to 1/16th of the total if there is
> >> contention.
> >
> > I regard the whole CS1 thing as having never been particularly
> > successful for a variety of reasons - in particular because
> > we seemed to be the only ones attempting to use it with rigor.
> >
> > I would like to patch in and submit "LE" support to mainline cake.
> >
> > The RFC retires CS1 - which I wouldn't retire - but see:
> >
> > https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8622.html
>
> Yeah, getting support for that upstream might be a good idea :)

I'd put out a patch on a endian-brain-fart day, which I think was
correct?, but didn't get back to it.

Another cleanup thought is to constify the cake invsqrt cache. (and actually
put in totally correct values)

> > Also it seems like a good idea to also submit the NS bit
> > exclusion from the ack filter to mainline as well.
>
> What's that?

https://github.com/chromi/sce/blob/sce/net/sched/sch_cake.c#L1274

A cleaner way would be to have it be

#ifndef TCP_FLAG_ESCE
#define it (I forget where it's defined)
#endif

#define CAKE_FILTER_FLAGS (TCP_FLAG_ECE | TCP_FLAG_CWR | TCP_FLAG_ESCE)

and use that.

> -Toke

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com