[Cake] Tai From StopLagging.com - Question about FQ-MAC

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:58:23 EST 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 2:39 AM T D <taidao90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I have recently gotten an ubiquiti edgerouter x and flashed openWRT on it. It is using the cake algorithm with the piece_of_cake script.
>
> Will my two Unifi AC AP Lites w/ stock firmware connected to the edgerouter with openWRT reap the benefits of the FQ-MAC mentioned in your paper?

The stock firmware for at least the nanostation m5 added "Airtime
fairness" as a checkbox item a year or so back which was not the full
fq_codel thing (but openwrt on the m5 is the full fq_codel for wifi
thing and works GREAT). I don't know to what extent that has made it
into their other products like the uap-lite. The fq_codel for wifi
code in openwrt worked on the ath9k portion of the uap-lite, but there
were some issues regarding the firmware for the ath10k. At one point
it was enabled, another disabled, another re-enabled. It worked better
on the ath10k-ct firmware in all cases, which was a removal of the
ath10k stock firmware in favor of that (ct is candalatech's firmware
which among other things supports ad-hoc mode for the ath10k)

> How does one get it to work if the one has a router that doesn't have an ath9k/ath10k chip, but has access point with the ath9k ath10k chips hooked up to it?

Well, cake works where it is. If your wifi is running slower than your
uplink the bottleneck shifts to there.

My usual answer is to setup a test (a flent server on the wired link,
a test over wifi) and see what happens.

> If I read your paper correctly, the access points have to run on the version 4.6 kernel or newer. If that's true then I assume I must flash openWRT on the unifi APs. After that, does FQ-MAC just work automatically or are their settings I must do?

Automatically.

> Would appreciate your response Dave!

I try to push stuff to the mailing list where possible.

> From,
> Tai

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com