[Cake] cake memory consumption

Sebastian Gottschall s.gottschall at newmedia-net.de
Mon Sep 16 09:54:28 EDT 2019

Am 16.09.2019 um 15:39 schrieb Jonathan Morton:
>> On 16 Sep, 2019, at 4:28 pm, Justin Kilpatrick <justin at althea.net> wrote:
>>
>> OpenWRT 18.06.4 on a glb1300 and 10+ virtual interfaces with cake. Total memory usage is 70MB for everything.
> My IQrouter, which is Archer C7 hardware, is presently running with 73MB free out of 128MB, after nearly 43 days uptime with heavy usage.  It has at least two Cake instances running, on a recent kernel.
>
> I see from the forum logs that kernel 3.18.x is in use there.  That's very old indeed, and I believe there were some fairly big differences in packet memory management since then.  It would be entirely possible for some memory management bug to be introduced by a vendor patch, for example.
i dont use vendor patches. its a old kernel i know and i have some
backports on it. i avoided switching to newer kernels due some serious
issues under specific conditions on these models (unrelated to qos, but
to flash memory access). the drivers are basicly the same as for openwrt
and it runes fairly well for all schedulers except for cake here.
usually there is also a big in the out of tree version of cake. but i
havent found anything while reviewing