[Cake] Why are target & interval increased on the reduced bandwidth tins?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 24 10:40:05 EDT 2020

Hi Kevin,

so the way codel is designed target is best understood as a function of interval (allowing 5-10% of interval as standing queue allows a fine trade-off between bandwidth utilization and latency under load increase).
Now, interval is basically akin to the time you are willing to give a flow to react to signals, it should be in the same order of magnitude as the path RTT. Now reducing the bandwidth allocation for a traffic class will increase its saturation load RTT and hence increasing the target seems justified; target just follows along due to still wanting a reasonable bandwidth/latency trade-off.
So in short these scale the shaper to work well under loaded conditions. But Jonathan & Toke will be able to give the real explanation ;)