[Cake] Understanding the Achieved Rate Multiplication Effect in FlowQueue-based AQM Bottleneck

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:09:00 EST 2021

> On 4 Dec, 2021, at 12:27 am, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> https://jonathankua.github.io/preprints/jkua-ieeelcn2021_understanding_ar_preprint-20jul2021.pdf
>
> I would love it if somehow the measured effects of chunklets against cake's per-host/per flow fq was examined one day.

I haven't actually measured it, but based on what the above paper says, I can make some firm predictions:

1: When competing against traffic to the same local host, the performance effects they describe will be present.

2: When competing against traffic to a different local-network host, the performance effects they describe will be attenuated or even entirely absent.

3: They noted one or two cases of observable effects of hash collisions in their tests with FQ-Codel.  These will be greatly reduced in prevalence with Cake, due to the set-associative hash function which specifically addresses that phenomenon.