[Cake] Trouble getting decent performance with CAKE

xnor xnoreq at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:17:51 EST 2021

 > I think the redirect command (in that alternate code block that I
didn't use) is from older code, so it's no longer needed.
 >> 3. I set up CAKE with the following commands:
 >>        sudo tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1:0 cake
bandwidth...[switches]

 >>        sudo set interfaces input ifb0
 >>        sudo set interfaces ethernet eth0 redirect ifb0
 >>        sudo tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 2:0 cake
bandwidth...[switches]

What is that supposed to do? What is "set"? Which package does "set"
come from?
It seems very weird to have a command that is a shell built-in...

 >> 4. Regarding your suggestion: "the download setting up tc mirred I
assume you are doing with sqm? Do that."

 >>     This is outside my knowledge, and I have not done anything like
that.
 >>     I have read an alternative (older?) way to set up CAKE for ingress:
 >>        sudo ip link add name ifb4eth0 type ifb
 >>        sudo tc qdisc del dev eth0 ingress
 >>        sudo tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
 >>        sudo tc qdisc del dev ifb4eth0 root
 >>        sudo tc qdisc add dev ifb4eth0 root cake bandwidth...
 >>        sudo ifconfig ifb4eth1 up
 >>        sudo tc filter add dev eth1 parent ffff: protocol all prio 10
u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:1 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb4eth1

No, this is the *proper* way, but there are mistakes in your example. It
adds the tc filter to eth1 instead of eth0. You probably also don't want
the flowid.

 > Do you think I can safely remove the imq0 interface? The stats (thank
you!) suggest to me that it's not being used. Removing may not be
necessary anyway.

As I said before, imq has been obsolete for a couple of years. Iirc it
hasn't been shipped with the kernel for years.
imq was used for QoS back in the day. It extended iptables to do the
redirection.
ifb is the "modern" replacement and works at a lower level, hence the
need for the tc-mirred

It looks to me like the linux distribution on your router is doing some
nonstandard things and possibly runs custom QoS scripts that could
conflict with your setup. If that is the case you should ask the
manufacturer for support.