[Cake] ISP Implementation

Thomas Croghan tcroghan at lostcreek.tech
Thu Mar 4 01:31:59 EST 2021

>Cake is *best* used as the bottleneck inducer with effectively unlimited
inbound bandwidth,
I kind of figured that Cake was designed to be the bottleneck, but I don't
want to be telling people the wrong things.

I'll have to take another look LibreQoS, maybe there's a way to duplicate
their work, though I like the processor efficiency I have seen on Cake. (It
could be a Mikrotik implementation or my poor configuration of FQ_Codel
though...)

The issue I had with the LibreQoS model is that you are distancing yourself
from the customer with the bandwidth limiter. In theory you want a
bandwidth limiter limiting the upload traffic from your customer and a
bandwidth limiter right at your upstream connection to limit each
customer's download bandwidth so that your internal network infrastructure
get's efficiently used and prevents your equipment from being the source of
bufferbloat. At least that's the running theory with HTB Bandwidth limiters
that most people are running right now. So in my second question it's
probably going to be best to have a Cake instance on either side of the
limitation.

So this would be preferable right? <Theoretically unlimited bandwidth> --
<Cake Instance Limiting bandwidth going left to right> -- <Some sort of
limit to 100 Mbps> -- <Cake Instance Limiting bandwidth going right to
left> -- <10 x 25 Mbps Customers>

--
Tommy Croghan
Lost Creek Tech