[Cake] tossing acks into the background queue

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Nov 23 02:07:34 EST 2021

Hi Dave,

On 23 November 2021 06:03:03 CET, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>ages ago I'd (we'd? I really don't remember - forgive me if I've
>forgotten who actually leaned in on it) written a basic ack-filter in
>ebpf. this was before cake gained tc actions and my primary use for
>the tech was for asymmetric connections, and before the good
>ack-filter arrived, and I was (and remain) unfriendly to this level of
>dpi.
>
>That said, on a symmetric connection, deprioritizing pure acks to the
>5% background queue nd then turning the cake ack-filter loose on it
>might actually work.
>
>Am I on drugs/is there any point?

I think at leat when using multiple priority tins forward and reverse traffic should by default use the same tin (I can see non-standard situations that want differential treatment). The argument is that unlike earlier attempts at ingress shaping that tried to throttle reverse ACKs? cake/codel do proper 'hit the brakes' signalling via marking/dropping and we want that signal to reach the other end as quickly as possible, no?

Regards
        Sebastian