[Cake] [Bloat] Little's Law mea culpa, but not invalidating my main point

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 21:21:56 EDT 2021

I just wanted to comment on how awesome this thread was, and how few
people outside this group deeply grok what was discussed here. I would
so like
to somehow construct an educational TV series explaining "How the
Internet really works" to a wider, and new audience, consisting of
animations, anecdotes,
and interviews with the key figures of its evolution.

While I deeply understood Len Kleinrock's work in the period
2011-2015, and tried to pass on analogies and intuition without using
the math since, inspired by van jacobson's
analogies and Radia Perlman's poetry, it's hard for me now to follow
the argument. Queue theory in particular, is not well known or taught
anymore, despite its obvious applications to things like the Covid
crisis.

But that would be just one thing! The end to end argument, the side
effects of spitting postscript into a lego robot, what actually
happens during a web page load, how a cpu actually works, are all
things that are increasingly lost in multiple mental models, and in my
mind many could be taught in kindergarden, if we worked at explaining
it hard enough.