[Cake] [Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Little's Law mea culpa, but not invalidating my main point

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 20 00:00:22 EDT 2021

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:21:56 -0700, Dave Taht said:
> what actually happens during a web page load,

I'm pretty sure that nobody actually understands that anymore, in any
more than handwaving levels.

I have a nice Chrome extension called IPvFoo that actually tracks the IP
addresses contacted during the load of the displayed page. I'll let you make
a guess as to how many unique IP addresses were contacted during a load
of https://www.cnn.com

145, at least half of which appeared to be analytics.  And that's only the
hosts that were contacted by my laptop for HTTP, and doesn't count DNS, or
load-balancing front ends, or all the back-end boxes.  As I commented over on
NANOG, we've gotten to a point similar to that of AT&T long distance, where 60%
of the effort of connecting a long distance phone call was the cost of
accounting and billing for the call.