[Cake] [Starlink] How to help?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:18:27 EDT 2022

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM Dave Täht via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> We had a ton of email bounce last week.
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 10:21:55AM -0500, Nick Hall via Starlink wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've had a Starlink (the round version 1) for around a year and was
> > thinking about bufferbloat yesterday and just found your mailing list. I
> > just started looking at the archives but I'm gathering that you are looking
> > for people to test things and am wondering what I can do to help?
>
> yes.

At the moment...

I am mostly looking to get baseline tests from various vantage points,
w/o sqm. Starlink throughput is varying wildly
from multiple locations. The latency seems to vary as a function of a
fixed length fifo. Increasingly seems to vary at peak hours.
Running tests for 300 sec to be sure to see at least one sat change.

Script:

#!/bin/bash
T=dishy-nick # a unique name for your site, + options like sqm on or off.
# other servers are in ontario, de, atlanta, mumbai,london - if the
lasers go up testing those become interesting
# pick 2 close ones
for S in fremont.starlink.taht.net dallas.starlink.taht.net
do
flent -t $T --step-size=.05 --socket-stats -l 300 -H $S rrul_be
flent -t $T --step-size=.05 --socket-stats -l 300 -H $S rrul
for i in 1 4 16
do
flent -t $T-$i  --step-size=.05 --socket-stats -l 300
--te=upload_streams=$i -H $S  tcp_nup
flent -t $T-$i --step-size=.05 --socket-stats -l 300
--te=download_streams=$i -H $S tcp_ndown
done
done

# there's an interesting rtt_fair test here, keep these for a baseline
worlwide measurement

flent -x --socket-stats --step-size=.05 -H de.starlink.taht.net -H
london.starlink.taht.net -H singapore.starlink.taht.net -H
fremont.starlink.taht.net -t $T rtt_fair4be

> > I have used flent a little before, and only know the basics, but I can run
> > tests if you give me direction for what you need.
> >
> > I am not using the provided Starlink router but instead the dish is
> > connected directly to my EdgeRouter X which is running the 1.10 series
> > EdgeRouter firmware with Cake from
> > https://community.ui.com/questions/Cake-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/fc1ff27c-f321-4344-8737-fcc755cae8a2
> >
> > I see a link to running CAKE with adaptive bandwidth:
> > https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cake-w-adaptive-bandwidth/108848
> >
> > But this is running OpenWrt. I know OpenWrt can run on the EdgeRouter X but
> > I can't spend the level of time to flash the router that it would probably
> > need right now. Do you know if that script would be able to run on the
> > version of Cake that I currently have running on the EdgeRouter X? Or have
> > necessary improvements been made to Cake that my version wouldn't have?
>
> So far as I know the edgerouter version of cake is pretty current.
>
> the script requires some things about timings that egerouter
> may not have.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nick

> Fixing the Internet on a too-tight budget: https://patreon.com/dtaht