[Cake] some comprehensive arm64 w/cake results

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 23:52:04 EDT 2023

> On 15 Oct, 2023, at 11:29 pm, David P. Reed via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> Of course, Internet congestion control, in general, is still stuck in the original Van Jacobsen sawtooth era. My guess is it won't get fixed, though I applaud Cake, and despair the hardware folks who keep adding buffers.

I am still working in this area, including on a revised version of SCE which might regain traction in the IETF.

One of the more immediate results of this is a new AQM algorithm which builds on the success of Codel, and a family of qdiscs I'm building around it.  These range from a queueless traffic policer to a "Cake version 2", with an interesting approximate-fairness approach for the middle child.  The AQM itself is already working, though not yet documented in a public-facing form.

I'm also taking a new approach to overlaying the "small" congestion response of SCE over the "big" response of conventional congestion control, which I think is capable of solving several long-standing problems in one go.  I'll say more when we have a working prototype - but think in terms of "no sawtooth" and "naturally max-min fair".  TCP Prague will look positively primitive compared to this - if it works (and it should).