[Cake] some comprehensive arm64 w/cake results

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Sep 28 08:15:26 EDT 2023

Hi Jonathan

> On Sep 28, 2023, at 13:44, Jonathan Morton via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
>> On 19 Sep, 2023, at 1:07 am, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Raspberry Pi 4's just aren't very good at networking because of their I/O architecture on the board, just as they are slow at USB in general. That's why the CM4 is interesting. It's interesting that the PiHole has gotten so popular - it would run better on an Pi with a better network architecture.
>>
>> On the contrary, the Pi 4 has an excellent I/O architecture compared to most of its peers, and especially compared to the previous Pis.  The built-in NIC is internal to the SoC and *NOT* attached via USB any more, so it can genuinely support gigabit speeds.  The USB interface is also fast enough to support a second GigE NIC, though the latency wouldn't be as good as one attached over PCIe.  That's with a standard, off-the-shelf Pi 4B.
>
> Timely breaking news:  the Raspberry Pi 5 has just been announced.
>
> The important new feature here (for us) is that it exposes a PCIe bus lane on the standard model, so you don't have to mess around with the Compute Module just to get access to that.  The built-in Ethernet port is now implemented in a PCIe-attached "southbridge" chip, and the WiFi performance has been improved by accelerating the interface by which the radio is attached.

	[SM] More things on the plus side:
4 A76 cores up to 2.4 GHz (versus 4 A72 cores up to 1.8 Ghz)
4 x 512 KB L2 cache plus shared 2 MB L3 cache (versus 1 MB shared L2)
LPDDR4X-4266 memory (versus LPDDR4-2400)

This promises even better performance for loads like cake than the already pretty nifty pi4B

> On the downside, the price has gone up.

	[SM] As well as the power consumption...