[Cake] cake's ack-filter vs GSO

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:26:58 EST 2024

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 8:37 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> Dave Taht via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> writes:
>
> > It has been years since I looked at cake's code.
> >
> > Does anyone remember why we do not ack-filter a gso-split?
>
> Because a GSO packet cannot be a pure ACK, so it wouldn't be filtered
> anyway...

But a GRO packet can, and most likely IS a pure ack packet train that
could and should be thinned. I think. Yes?

Anyway, I put in for a small grant a few months ago with NLNET on this
(and keep hoping that somewhere out there, there are more orgs using
cake willing to throw in? I mean there are hundreds now! Can anyone
reach out to them?)

It might be approved in a month or so - but it also had scope in
looking at transports and the BSDs, and I keep hoping to somehow find
enough resources to have a project with 3 core folk running at it part
time for 2 years.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tTYBPeaRdCO9AGTGQCpoiuLORQzN_bG3TAkEolJPh28/edit

Elsewhere a volunteer started some work on validating the fq_codel
implementations of openbsd and freebsd. The results are interesting!
The "wrong" openbsd version with a 400 count cap does not behave much
differently from the one with the pure newton invsqrt approximation in
the tests so far. Can anyone suggest tests to exercise it?

Do I have the energy to write them up yet? No. I might start yet
another mailing list to discuss it. My long term hope is to gain
enough experience, somehow get cake ported over to those OSes
eventually, but I would settle for just quieting the noise in the
opnsense world.

I am trying to have a BQL discussion on the netdev list also, about
virtio-net...

Maybe this presentation will gain traction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWnb543Sdk8&t=2603s

--
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/2024_predictions/
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos