[Cerowrt-devel] speeding up builds

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:15:18 EDT 2012

I finally acquired a machine with 32GB of ram, an intel 3930k (6
cores), and an SSD.

I put the build_dir, /tmp and /var/tmp on ramdisks, and...

This cut a complete cerowrt build (including toolchain) down from >
3.5 hrs down to under 45 minutes.

Without the toolchain rebuild, but after a make clean (to rebuild the
packages and kernel), it's about 28 minutes.

I can see that it is possible to parallelize things more to maybe chop
another 30% of of things...
...but I'm glad to have 3 hrs of my life back, per build.

I wanted to figure out to what extent modern hardware would enhance
the existing buildbot system.
Now I know...

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608