[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt 3.3.8-17 is released

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Aug 15 13:23:10 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

great work, as always I upgraded my production router to the latest and greatest (since I only have one router…). And it works quite well for normal usage…
Netalyzr reports around 2800ms seconds of uplink buffering, yet saturating the uplink does not affect ping times to a remote target noticeably, basically the same as for all codellized ceo versions I tested so far...

Some notes and a question:
I noticed that even given plenty of swap space (1GB on a usb stick), using http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/residential/ to exercise UDP stress (on the uplink I assume) I can easily produce (I run the test from a macosx via 5GHz wireless over 1.5 yards):
Aug 15 01:16:29 nacktmulle kern.err kernel: [175395.132812] ath: skbuff alloc of size 1926 failed
(and plenty of those…).
What then happens is that the OOM killer will aim for bind (reasonable since it is the largest single process) and kill it. When I try to restart bind by:
root at nacktmulle:~# /etc/rc.d/S47namedprep start
root at nacktmulle:~# /etc/rc.d/S48named restart
Stopping isc-bind
  /etc/chroot/named//var/run/named/named.pid not found, trying brute force
killall: named: no process killed
Kicking isc-bind in xinetd
rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
And bind does not start again and the router becomes less than useful. Now I assume I am doing something wrong, but what, if you have any idea how to solve this short of a reboot of the router (my current method) I would be happy to learn

best regards
	sebastian