[Cerowrt-devel] Raspberry Pi build

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:38:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> I'm attempting to get cerowrt-3.3 built and running on a model B
> Raspberry Pi and just wondering if this might be of interest to
> anyone else on this list?

Sure! Playing with that has been high on my list of toys to acquire
and pfor a very long time, but ENOTIME/ENOMONEY. It would be a useful
box to debloat, for sure.

Three things to note:

1) The default filesystem for cero is pretty wndr specific, you will
at least need to modify /etc/config/{firewall,network} and
/etc/quagga/babel.conf and possibly the boot and mac80211.sh scripts.

Nearly everything important in cero (fq_codel, cubic, etc) aside from
the debloat package has made it into openwrt, so it would probably be
easier to do openwrt and layer debloat on top.

2) I have no idea what wireless chip is in the pi, nor its current state. (?)

3) In order for things like fq_codel to have a hope of working well at
the ethernet level, "Byte Queue Limits" (BQL) is *required*. I don't
think any USB to ethernet adaptors have that yet, but I would welcome
being wrong. And even if BQL worked over USB, we might have issues
with the USB layer left to deal with... but BQL is easy to implement
on native ethernet (6-8 lines of code or so)...

I went looking through the source trees briefly and didn't find
anything that jumped out at me. If you can point me to the right
drivers I'll take a look. (and/or ask question 3 on a rasperry pi list
for us?)

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki - "3.3.8-17 is out
with fq_codel!"