[Cerowrt-devel] development snapshot of cerowrt-3.3.8-21 released

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:53:21 EDT 2012

On 29 August 2012 13:18, Robert Bradley <robert.bradley1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alternatively, you might have to set up a DHCPv6 server.  CeroWRT has
> dnsmasq-dhcpv6 already, as far as I can tell, but you will probably
> need to follow the instructions at
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ipv6#dnsmasq-dhcpv6 to get that
> working (including removing dnsmasq and reinstalling dnsmasq-dhcpv6).

The following instructions for CeroWRT worked for me with Windows 7
clients.  I set it so that addresses are assigned via SLAAC with radvd
doing announcements, and DNS servers etc. are announced over DHCPv6.

# opkg update
# opkg remove dnsmasq
# opkg install --force-reinstall dnsmasq-dhcpv6

Insert several lines into /etc/dnsmasq.conf describing the dhcp ranges:

dhcp-range=se00,</64 goes here>, ra-stateless, ra-names
etc.

# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

At this point, you'll probably get the router's local IPv6 addresses
as DNS servers.  This is fine except that named is not configured to
accept IPv6 traffic.   This should not be relevant for 3.3.8-21 since
that uses dnsmasq only, but for 3.3.8-17 and earlier, edit
/etc/chroot/named/etc/bind/conf/acls.local.conf and add in your IPv6
prefix, then "killall -HUP named" to update BIND.

We could replace radvd entirely at this point and use "enable-ra" in
dnsmasq.conf, but I think radvd gives us more options.  For
DHCPv6-only address assignment, you can remove the "ra-stateless,
ra-names" parts in our new dhcp-range lines, and set "AdvManagedFlag
on" in radvd.  I can't imagine OS X requiring that level of attention
though to get an IPv6 address; merely using "AdvOtherConfigFlag off"
in radvd.conf ought to do it.
--
Robert Bradley