[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.6.9-3 test release

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 03:20:21 EST 2012

Probably the biggest bug in this first attempt: opkg was not included.
This is because the opkg swalker had produced had support for package
signing (in cerowrt 3.3.x), and I didn't port the patches forward...
and then I forgot to include the original opkg in this build!

Felix had reviewed the package signing stuff and felt that it was too
large to use. Certainly part of the opkg signing stuff could be shrunk
(it brings in an unnecessary library), but cutting it as far down as
felix wanted is going to be hard, and worse, doing so will require a
major audit as to the actual security of a non-gpg based signing
system. I'm in a quandary here. Personally I'd prefer to leverage gpg
for package signing, and leverage openssl, which we use anyway.

Also, some new unaligned exception traps have surfaced with ipv6. They
are not bad - only about 1200 on a 60 second rrul test with 24.5/5.5
ceroshaper, but enough to dramatically affect ipv6 latencies, and
affect fq_codel. (see attached)

Aside from that, ad-hoc mode is broken on wifi on either my test box
(iwl x86), or the ar71xx hardware - an interface comes up, associates
with another cell, then fails to transmit packets. I'll be bringing up
another cerowrt box to isolate this today.

I also get utterly dismal performance from same laptop to the router
over wifi, I really am hoping it's the !@#! iwl card, not the
ath9k....

the rrul test (12 netperfs) CAN indeed be run directly to a wndr3800,
but it pays to disable netserver startup from xinetd and run it as a
standalone daemon. It eats an enormous amount of cpu and should only
be used when trying stuff at 100Mbit or less...

Haven't tried the new (BFQ) block I/O scheduler (which might help on
the xinetd startup issue)