[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.6.9-3 test release

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 12:53:55 EST 2012

On 07/12/12 08:20, Dave Taht wrote:
> Also, some new unaligned exception traps have surfaced with ipv6. They
> are not bad - only about 1200 on a 60 second rrul test with 24.5/5.5
> ceroshaper, but enough to dramatically affect ipv6 latencies, and
> affect fq_codel. (see attached)

I have managed to track down possible causes of these new traps now.
I've noticed that in the IPv6 stack in particular, there's a tendency to
access the flow label and traffic class fields by casting the header
structure to __be32*.  Needless to say, this ends up producing a lot of
unaligned access traps.

There's a possible issue with setting the IPv6 ECN bits, but that should
also affect the Sugarland build too.  There's also a few *(__be32*)
dereferences in net/ipv6/ip6_route.c and net/ipv6/ip6_tunnel.c that are
new to the 3.6 kernel.  The attached patches should hopefully fix all of
the new traps.

--
Robert Bradley