[Cerowrt-devel] a note on 'debloat'

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:12:43 EST 2012

I note that I have been analyzing various aqm models using a lua
script called 'debloat'

The git repo for the debloat script and some of the test data is at:

https://github.com/dtaht/deBloat

in the src/debloat script.

The nice thing about debloat is that it works on a 'normal' linux box
running 3.3 with BQL and QFQ enabled,
as well as on openwrt/cerowrt.

It's much easier to prototype AQM stuff on non-embedded hardware.

Also I run the new sfqred code by default on all interfaces on my own
gear and the benefit is often noticeable in normal use.

It wasn't until recently (the underlying kernel code had to work
first!) that I started adding htb and hfsc support to it, so much of
that work is incomplete, hard-coded, or just plain buggy.

But I do find working with lua much better for handling complex stuff
that shell scripts weren't doing for me.

A brief intro on how to use it is in the usage message, from a
code-reading standpoint, those unfamiliar with the language (I started
writing this in late december having had no exposure to lua before),
can start
from the bottom  and read up....

basically, though

IFACE=wlan0 QMODEL=sfqred ./debloat
IFACE=eth0 QMODEL=qfq ./debloat

etc.

from an htb front, I've had the most success with the htb_sfq_red
model, which is currently
hard coded for 4Mbits...

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608