[Cerowrt-devel] bql-27 smoketest released, with... BQL, SFQRED, etc

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:24:04 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Richard Brown
<richard.e.brown at dartware.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I have finally got the new stuff from linux-3.3 (BQL and various
> ehancements to RED, aRED, and SFQ)
> backported to linux-3.2.2, as well as got nearly all the original
> features originally intended for rc7 working.
>
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/BQL_series_release_notes
>

> Congratulations! This is fantastic news. I've burned it into my router at
> home, and I'm getting ready to replace my DD-WRT on a WRT54GL. A few
> comments/questions:

I note that the default AQM is rather lame now. I am working on a
replacement,and gui for it, but won't be done for at least a week.
PLEASE feel free to try it as is...

> - gw.home.lan is working again (and by extension, I suppose bind is, as
> well). I have removed the notes about DNS not working from the wiki.

Yep.

> - Does the Onboard Documentation
> (http://jupiter.lab.bufferbloat.net/cerowrt/about.html) accurately reflect
> what is in the bql-27 build? (The Read This First page asserts this.)

I have no idea right now.

We need to take a major pass through the onboard doc
(I'd like better css on that too), but I have assiduously
resisted making any big decisions regarding the final
core feature set until now, and I don't want to
think about doc until that settles down.

I only have two 'features' left to add - and that's dhcp6-pd support
and better ipv6 support overall. I'd like to implement rfc4193
support,AND get that working on gw.home.lan as well.

Then there is the gui and aqm work...

> - I have added a page that talks about turning on monitoring: SNMP and
> NetFlow, if only to jog my memory of what I need to do it:
> (http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Monitoring_CeroWrt)

THX!

> - Would it be possible to get fprobe added into the bql-27 packages?

Sorry, I had to rebase that build (again) and hadn't
checked the new package database into the build tree.

fprobe or fprobe-ulog? I'll build both but only want
to include one.

I am not planning a truly working new build or package set
for a week or so, either, sorrry.

> - When I'm looking at the web GUI, I have a hard time remembering which
> build I was using e.g., r29957 for the bql-27 build. As a workaround, it
> might be enough to include the build number  somewhere (as a file name?) in
> the download directory.
> (http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~cero1/bql-smoketests/bql-27/)

I will start writing /etc/openwrt-version in the next builds.

I note that the bql series is just that (and it took me 23 attempts to
eventually get bql working), and it isn't tied
to a rc, or plan, at all. It was my way of dismissing the
externalities and fixing bufferbloat more than anything else.

While I was doing that, nearly all the fixes required to meet
rc7's original feature plan arrived...