[Cerowrt-devel] WNDR6300 - 802.11ac device - any good?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:29:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Maciej Soltysiak <maciej at soltysiak.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Netgear has recently released a 802.11ac device dubbed WNDR6300 with 128 MB
> Flash and 128 MB RAM.
> Not sure what chip it has, probably BCM4360.
>
> Anybody knows if this is as open as WNDR3800 to allow cerowrt and open the
> door for even more problem with gigabit wireless? ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I would ask the openwrt list this question.

But I doubt that it's presently very open to radical developments.

It would be very nice if the 6300 was usable in various ways (does it
at least have apps?) - I'd like to get bufferbloat related fixes in by
default on the 802.11ac stack, as one major example -

and oooh! 128MB flash. LUXURY.

I personally am not in a position to do any more work on cerowrt than
I currently do; it's a full time job that doesn't pay anything at all.
And then I have two other full time volunteer jobs.

Adding direct support for more cerowrt hardware on that budget is just
not in the cards... (I do try to focus high enough on the stack to get
fixes out for linux mainline and openwrt that apply across everything,
however. I'm very happy with how fast fq_codel is propagating)

Although the karmic rewards of these volunteer jobs (fixing the
internet, working with you all) are often quite satisfying, I'm 8
months past the point where I need to find some work that puts food on
the table, even if not so karmically rewarding. As much as I like
living in a yurt, I kind of need a car to survive in the US as one
problem I'm dealing with now. Last week I came very close to moving
back to Nicaragua in time for debconf, (a horse is 200 bucks!) but I
feel I'm more effective in the valley (the nearest radio shack is 6km,
rather than 100km, away), and have found a good site for future
experimentation, so I hope to find a way to continue in the US for the
rest of the year.

Somehow. On something.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki - "3.3.8-6 is out
with fq_codel!"