[Cerowrt-devel] WNDR6300 - 802.11ac device - any good?

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Tue Jul 3 06:23:33 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I would ask the openwrt list this question.

I just have, thanks for the tip.

One thing I made wrong, it's R6300, not WNDR6300. I assumed they continued
the naming scheme.

>  It would be very nice if the 6300 was usable in various ways (does it
> at least have apps?) - I'd like to get bufferbloat related fixes in by
> default on the 802.11ac stack, as one major example

Apps? I've only seen some youtube vidoes but I don't think it does. It has
the genie app which is a smart phone parental control app to configure the
settings on the router, not much else I think. If that's what you meant.

>  and oooh! 128MB flash. LUXURY.

The 6200 has 16MB, 6300 has 128, I think this is because it's for miniDLNA
to store the SQLite database.
My 1TB disk after indexing get the database to grow to 90MB -- and then
crashes of course... on WNDR3800 firmware.

>  I personally am not in a position to do any more work on cerowrt than
> I currently do; it's a full time job that doesn't pay anything at all.
> And then I have two other full time volunteer jobs.

 My question was more around feasibility as in WNDR4000 is not suitable as
opposed to WNDR3800, what about R6300?
I've asked this now to openwrt, maybe they can research that.

BTW. R6300 is 179 or 199 USD.

About the other thing, maybe we could set up kickstarter or some other fund
gathering scheme.
Worth a try.

>  Although the karmic rewards of these volunteer jobs (fixing the
> internet, working with you all) are often quite satisfying, I'm 8
> months past the point where I need to find some work that puts food on
> the table, even if not so karmically rewarding. As much as I like
> living in a yurt, I kind of need a car to survive in the US as one
> problem I'm dealing with now.

I wish things get better with you soon, even at expense of your tremendous
volunteer work.

Best regards,
Maciej Soltysiak