[Cerowrt-devel] making cerowrt chattier

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:10:40 EDT 2012

I am fiddling with ideas towards making the router chattier.

One reason is that some countries, and locations (hotspots) tend to
require that a person agree to the terms of service before using the
service. I happen to dislike intensely how this is usually implemented
(requiring a signin via web browser and having something like a
chilispot intercept DNS and all access) - I'd prefer some automated
system and to allow
basic services (like telephone, etc), automagically just work, and
only intercept browser access if required.

The second reason is that periodically a router needs an update, for
example to address a CVE. I note that versions of cerowrt prior to
3.3.8-1 have a version of bind in them that had a CVE issued against
it that needs to be addressed.

A third reason would be to enable various sorts of other messages to
make it to the user faster/more often.

Now, I've implemented a tiny jabber server in my current builds and am
looking into javascript based chat servers that I could incorporate
into the introductory web page, which could be used for notices of
this sort, and jabber users could also merely subscribe to notices
from the router so that they get chat notices when something is going
wrong - "upgrade needed", "we are under a syn attack", "Earthquake",
"out of memory", etc.  I haven't found a lightweight version of
sendxmpp yet, and have never been fond of centralized chat services in
the first place (the venerable "talk" protocol has no ipv6
implementation, I note) , so perhaps there's a better standard or
system I can use that is more aggressively p2p/distributed? I have
seen chat demonstrated over ccnx, but don't know anything
about the implementation.

ejabberd is NOT lightweight but supports muc and other services.

There is also the possibility of a lightweight email tool or the
winpopup utility for samba.

SKYPE: davetaht
http://ronsravings.blogspot.com/