[Cerowrt-devel] [OT] DNS redirected to third-part​​y servers: www.google​​.com ?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:42:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Maciej Soltysiak <maciej at soltysiak.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> A bit off topic, not sure if this is cerowrt related but I know you guys use
> netalyzr.
>
> My netalyzr on cerowrt-3.3.8-3  started recently to show that my ISP
> redirects www.google.com to 3rd party.

cerowrt by default accesses the *ROOT* servers to get it's dns data.
so if that is corrupt or wrong, there's a major issue. It is possible
you are losing on a geo-location basis, however.

If your ISP supports DNSSEC (and is not playing games with DNS) you
can optimize your dns access by using your ISP's provided dns servers
in the forwarders.conf file and uncommenting the relevant line in
named.conf.

What I get for a host www.google.com is:

www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.105
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.147
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.103
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.104
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.99
www.l.google.com has address 74.125.45.106
www.l.google.com has IPv6 address 2001:4860:800a::63

> My run is here:
> http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-21386-3947730d-5148-4bce-9140#DNSLookup
> The IPs that get resolved are e.g.:
> 46.28.247.113
> 46.28.247.118
>
> Can anyone please do a netalyzr scan and see if you report anything similar?
> Maybe it's google CDN, maybe it's something in bind build.
>
> Funny thing is that on a windows client when I do nslookup www.google.com
> 172.30.42.97 (or .1) I get different results, but never this 46.28 nonsense.
> I get same results when I query my ISP DNS or some other major ISP's DNS in
> my country.
>
> When I do diagnostics from cerowrt, it shows 46.28.x.y.
>
> Thanks in advance for having a go with the test!
>
> Best regards,
> Maciej Soltysiak

SKYPE: davetaht
http://ronsravings.blogspot.com/