[Cerowrt-devel] Strange behavior with macbook and DNS

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:50:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:14 AM, William Katsak <wkatsak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see this too, but mostly on my desktop  Mac when it wakes up from sleep.
>
> I think something is up with the Avahi reflector, but haven't had time
> to look into it.
>
> Bill Katsak
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 24, 2012, at 9:04 AM, Shannon Kendrick
> <shannon at kendrickonline.org> wrote:
>
>> Whenever I switch from wired to wireless my Macbook pops up a dialog with a message similar to this:
>>
>> "This computer’s local hostname “Shannon-Kendricks-MacBook-Pro-7.local” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “Shannon-Kendricks-MacBook-Pro-8.local”."
>>
>> The number at the end of the hostname is incremented each time.
>>
>> Any idea why this is happening and how to prevent it?  This was not a problem on any of the other routers I've used (Linksys, DD-WRT, m0n0wall).

This is an issue with avahi's mdns tying names to mac addresses, and
this being a routed, rather than bridged, network. It's actually a
flaw in mdns's design which I hope will be worked on in the new dnsext
working group at the ietf.

There are worse issues with mdns than this in a routed environment.